ATTENTION REMODELERS! There is NO SAFE LEVEL OF ASBESTOS EXPOSURE. Find out what to look for before you start you start the demo phase of your next remodel.
Why asbestos is a problem
Asbestos use in the United States has fallen drastically over the past several decades, since federal regulations were issued to protect people from accidental exposure to the toxic mineral. Since then, safer alternatives have come onto the market, making it easier to construct and renovate homes without risking unnecessary exposure. But older homes, specifically those built before the mid-1970s, are still likely to contain asbestos, and the minerals former use extends much farther than some people might think.
What is asbestos?
Asbestos is a mineral fiber found in rock and soil. In its heyday, there were literally thousands of asbestos-containing products. It was cheap, durable and heat resistant, making asbestos perfect for areas exposed to high temperatures and traffic, areas like furnaces, boilers, pipe and duct insulation, floor and ceiling tiles, plaster, window glazing.
What do I do if I come into contact with asbestos-containing materials?
If you come into contact with asbestos-containing materials (ACM), don’t touch them, step on them or try to remove them on your own. Asbestos fibers are incredibly small and invisible to the naked eye. When you damage ACMs while performing demolition work, sanding or cutting, the fibers may become airborne and enter your lungs. Once in your body, the fibers could become trapped in the lining of the lungs, heart or abdomen, causing diseases like lung cancer, asbestosis or mesothelioma decades later.
If you think there might be asbestos in a given area, have an inspector come out to assess the situation and determine what actions need to be taken. In some cases, ACMs may be considered safe if they’re in good condition. In others, those materials may need to be encapsulated or removed.
What do I do if I’ve been exposed to asbestos in construction?
Construction workers, carpenters, plumbers and electricians may all come into close contact with ACMs while working in older homes and buildings. Although there are no safe levels of asbestos exposure, there are Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines in place to protect workers from exposure. They include requiring employers to provide proper personal protective equipment and take action to reduce workplace asbestos levels to legal levels.
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do after being exposed to asbestos fibers. Employers are required to provide employees with medical monitoring in cases where they have been exposed to high levels of asbestos or levels past the legal limit. However, the latency period for mesothelioma is 10-50 years and is often not caught until its late stages when treatment options are limited. So the key is to Avoid, Avoid, Avoid!
Written by Charles MacGreggor, Community Engagement Specialist, Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance
Click here for more information.